Fills

Techniques for eating when band feels tight?

Having talked to many surgeons about common complaints patients talk of when feeling restricted; they often mention that patients fall out of that discipline of eating slowly.

Different food types will make a huge difference, I appreciate that, but you need to take the same time between mouthfuls regardless of what you are eating. What happens is that the first (or earlier) mouthful hasn't squeezed through the band before the next one enters the pouch, and it puts pressure on the pouch and the cardiac sphincter (end of oesophagus). If you manage through this somehow, the pouch will start to expand and it only does this by pulling on the main stomach below and dragging it up to accommodate the more food you try to squeeze into the pouch, and you will start to plateau with your weight loss.

I digress a bit, what i was asking here, if the band is supposedly at the right restriction, but it still feels tight when eating, how do you manage?

And...do you have a set time period between mouthfuls, and if not, what do you do to slow down?

Hello :)

Not sure i can be a lot of help with your question...but i am struggling with eating now i have more restriction. I find that i take my first mouthful and swallow it, then the second one...then all of a sudden im stuck!

For me, I am having to really concentrate on eating - for example, eating at my desk while i'm doing work is becoming difficult because i find i am distracted and then almost forget i have the band.

I suppose its comparable to learning a new skill. You have to be so conscious of the size of the mouthful, how thoroughly you chew it, and how long you wait between mouthfuls (generally 30 seconds), but also regonising how you feel physically to make sure its gone down.

Not sure if this is at all helpful...i guess my point is i dont think there is really any trick to it...you just have to re-learn and teach yourself a new eating skil....if that makes sense?

counting to 30 between mouthfuls helps me to slow down!

Sitting up straight (not hunching over in front of the telly or at my desk) remembering to breathe and relax also helps.

my dietician asked me to follow the 20/20/20 rule - 20 chews of each mouthful - 20 secs after swallowing before putting the next mouthful in - 20 mins total of eating (after that just stop). So basically it allows a total of 40 secs between each mouthful.

I don't have any fill yet but I hope by following this rule from the get go then I will be well practiced when it matters :)