Danstar

cost of surgery not using PHI

Hi guys...I don't think I can wait for my PHI to cover the procedure.Can anybody enlighten me on what it might cost without using PHI ?

$12000 Sydney it cost me got about $1500 back from Medicare and rest is claimed as a tax offset minus the $1500qualifying amount.

You can get you super released to pay for procedure as obesity is life threatening

Thanks Tamara...can you tell me who you went with? Because although I'm in Tassie my extended family are in Sydney.Thanks Danielle

Hi Danstar,

I paid about 11K here in Tas with Dr Patiniotis, and got about $3K back on Medicare :)

Best money I ever spent!

tuffy x

Thanks Tuffy...I really don't want to wait till Jan next year so I'm going to see why I can do.Going to get a referall to Dr Tony P next week off my GP.I saw Dr Wilkinson last year just before I had my son Jesse to get on the PH list ..not sure if he did it ad never heard anything after that??

Anyways I can't stop thinking about having this done.I've always been impatient!! But really feeling the need for sooner rathr than later!

whats the rush after all I am sure this problem didn't happen overnight ;) .. you would be suprised how quick one year passes. It also gives you time to prepare for it mentally and emotionally, not too mention the approx 7+k you will save (after PHI premium is paid for the year).

Having said that I guess if it really is life threatening obviously you would want to get it done ASAP.

I have been on the public waiting list for almost 4 years (still no appt) and as a uni student where funds are tight, I bit the bullet 18 months ago and took out PHI - I really couldn't believe how quick the year passed. After I costed my premium, and took into the consideration the gap, and admin fee I was only out of pocket 3.5k . At 5'6 and 153kg I guess you would have thought it was life threatening enough for the public system - but obviously not.

good luck with whatever you decide