Sign in to follow this  
Jennstar

Night Reflux or Something???

Hi All,

Well I am six months in my banding journey and it really has been only recently that I've been getting it right most of the time e.g. food size and quantities my doc was right it really takes time to work it all out. I am happy with how the weight loss has gone and am now down to 72kg so 25kg lost so far.

In saying that I'm still working it out. At night I get what I think is reflux, I go to bed and half an hour later I'm up coughing and needing to bring up stuff it is not usually food but seems like gastric juices sometimes if the coughing is bad it brings up food. I do appoligise for the gross details. This usually happens once but on a really bad night it may happen up to three times. However, some nights if I sleep facing down and have hardly eaten anything I don't get the urge to bring it up, I just wake up in the morning with a burning sensation in the back of my throat. My nose when I lay down also runs a clear liquid, this has only happened on three occasions. I'm going to my doc next week, although he knows about the relux and we have been trying to get rid of it, it is better than it was, but it is really starting to take its toll on me.

I guess my question is, has anyone else experienced this? Is it common? How can I fix it?

Many thanks in advance

Jen

I was having this experience over the last week when I had my band tightened. I diagnosed myself as having reflux and I didn;t have it last night after having fill removed. If you aren't otherwise having issues, perhaps take some gaviscon or similar before bed and see if it helps? Otherwise talk to you clinic.

Sounds like reflux which could be caused by your band being too tight or a slip. I recommend not eating within 3-4 hours of bedtime, taking an antacid and maybe going on liquids for a couple of days to try and let things settle incase it is a bit of a slip. If none of this helps go and see your band doc. I had the same thing when my band slipped.

The band was first used to help reflux (and not weightloss) so it should be helping rather than making it worse. You poor thing it sounds terrible! Glad o hear your off to the doc next week, you need your problem sorted. Good luck!

This happened to me and was the result of my band slipping - get an xray asap just to check everything out...

hope everything is okay, but if your band has slipped it can make you extremely dehydrated, take care xx

I attended a seminar session before being banded and was told by the surgeon that if you experience reflex then something is not quite right. Definitely recommend making an appointment to see your surgeon and get it sorted. Good luck.

I have had similar and found it much better to eat at least 2 hours before going to bed, have your pillow slightly elevated, and if this is happening regularly you shod see your doc, I thought mine was because band too tight but my dov gave me some somac (reflux medication) and it is soooo much better! You can buy somac over the counter but it's cheaper with a script. Good luck with it...

Sorry about the spelling, I'm on my phone!

Thank you for your replies. I'm a bit worried about the band slip part I had not even considered that. How easily can that be fixed? This has been going for some time to varying degrees and when I think I have figured it out it happens again.

Thanks again

Jen

Hi there

I too had reflux and woke up coughing at night. I ended up in ICU with pneumonia from aspirating what I was coughing up. My band was too tight. After a few adjustments all is well. Go to the doctor ASAP to get it checked.

Leanne

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd give you an update from my visit to the doc. Well, we discussed my problem and he then took a heap of fluid out which he said is too help the tissue swelling etc. I must say it is 3 days since this happened and I am pretty close to normal and a little bit of reflux early in the morning and I'm hoping as things get better this will too go away. I'm not overly hungry thank god but we will see how the month goes, I'm hoping this has solved the problem. He said we will very gradually increase the fluid if all symptoms have gone.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Jen